About the Company:
Inspiring Girls to Code!
CodeArt's mission is to increase the number of girls studying computer science by delighting and inspiring them with the creative possibilities of computer programming. We use art to inspire girls in grades 4-12 to code! We hold workshops where we teach students how to write computer programs to generate art and hold an annual event, CodeArt Miami, where student computer-generated art is displayed and awards are given for the top coded art submissions.
The first half of the year, your classroom will be mixed-grade, “bigs-paired-with-littles.” You will teach either 6th/9th, 7th/10th, or 8th/11th. Two twelfth grade students will be available to you as classroom assistants. Depending on feedback from the first half of the school year, the classrooms will either stay mixed-grade or go to single-grade (6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, or 11th) for the second half of the year.
This is a great opportunity to build your resume and meet CodeArt’s corporate sponsors.
This is a paid internship
- Become a member of a group of 20 instructors with a common goal. CodeArt gives a voice to instructors as well as students. Your perspective on how best to learn coding will be considered. Proposing how else to connect to the local CS/IT Miami ecosystem is welcome.
- Attend an initial training session (may be virtual or at FIU).
- Review each week's lesson ahead of time so you are confident in giving the lesson
Give lesson in person the third Wednesday of each month 9:00-10:00am at YWPA
- Communicate any questions or concerns to CodeArt Director of Education
- Give instructions to and oversee your 12th grade classroom assistants
- Make sure that attendance is taken each session, that scores for pre- and post-tests are recorded, and all completed assignments are recorded.
- Either majoring or minoring in Computer Science or a related field
- Experience working with middle schoolers or high schoolers a plus